3.08.2011

the situation goes from bad to catastrophic

At work, because there really isn't anything else to keep our minds from turning totally numb, we listen to the radio all day. Because I am the only person in the entire kitchen to listen to the kind of music that I do, the radio is usually tuned to some channel that only plays Rihanna and Katy Perry, along with the other popular musicians, which is something I have put up with five days a week for the last month and a half. Every once in a while, one of my coworkers will change the station; today, they chose a country music station. I didn't realize, until I was listening to a man sing "Tequila makes her clothes come off", that the bad situation with the radio could get any worse. So, in light of the fact that I was forced to listen to country music for eight hours, I have decided to do a quick little music post (literally, just links and maybe a sentence or two).


Wounded Rhymes - Lykke Li
Insound | Pitchfork Review | Mediafire


Lykke Li has always been talented at expressing youthful romanticism, and Wounded Rhymes is no different. If Youth Novels was too girly or too young, Wounded Rhymes feels somewhat more mature.


Forget - Twin Shadow
Insound | Pitchfork Review | Mediafire


It may seem that there are a lot of musicians that are revisiting the eighties these days, but when done well, these albums are incredibly worthwhile. Twin Shadow is no different, managing to be vaguely reminiscent of the 80s. The album is split between it's more dance-y moments and the slower, more thoughtful songs.


James Blake - James Blake
Insound | Pitchfork Review | Mediafire


Though I haven't had much of a chance to listen to this album, it's quite obvious that Blake has fantastic vocals. The album and the songwriting is refined, and the whole thing definitely requires more than one listen in order to fully appreciate.

2 comments:

L is for Leslie said...

James Blake takes my breath away! I love how he uses few words but the perfect ones. And the way he skews the beats to his songs absolutely thrills me!

Have you sampled Phaeleh?

amda said...

Hey Leslie!

Absolutely. James Blake is so gifted, it's what keeps me coming back to revisit his material. I have not listened to Phaeleh, but thanks for bringing it up! I'll make sure to check them out.