12.07.2009

Bluish

Alright, well today was an utter failure. But I'm looking on the bright side, which is a new thing for me. I am doing a double post today, simply because I felt that it was unfair not to post some music.


I feel that it might be a fun opportunity to go through some specific songs that I personally really like. So, be prepared for good music and not so good analyses of it!


Animal Collective - "Bluish"
It seems only suitable to start off with an Animal Collective song. Every time I think, "Maybe
Merriweather Post Pavilion was just overhyped; maybe it really isn't the best Animal Collective album to date", I listen to it again and I realize that yes, it just is that good.
"Bluish" in particular I like, mainly because it's such a sweet song. One of my favorite lines include: "Back to the time when we were green/I know we have changed/But I still grin 'cause I can't wait to see you".



The Antlers - "Thirteen" and "Wake"
Okay, I'm going to cheat a little here and put two tracks, simply because "Thirteen" is very short. But honestly, the vocals on that song are just haunting and beautiful. And "Wake" has affected me a lot, the line "It was easier to lock the doors and kill the phone than to show my skin" resonates with me.


Atlas Sound - "Quick Canal" and "Walkabout"
Well these two tracks have already been talked about a great deal; Bradford Cox collaborated with people, and they're both two of the better tracks on the album (though I'll hesitate to use the words "best" or "only good ones"). "Quick Canal" I find really beautiful, with lines like "I thought saints were born saints/so indeed we didn't stand a chance", but turning it around at the end, singing "I thought saints were born saints/I looked in the dirt/and found that wisdom is learnt/through a costly process/of success and failure". And you simply have to love "Walkabout", if not because of Noah Lennox then because it's simply one of the happiest songs I've heard in a while. And it's not just the sound; the lyrics are pretty fantastic too: "Through looking back you may go blind", as well as the repeat of "What did you want to see/What did you want to be when you grew up?".


Dirty Projectors - "Two Doves"
So I get that a lot of people have heard "Stillness is the Move", if not by the Dirty Projectors themselves then by Solange. It may or may not be the best song you heard on the album, whatever. Personally, I still can't get over the lyrics in "Two Doves" -- lines like, "Our bed is like a failure". Maybe it's just me, but the command "Kiss me with your mouth open" is something that feels truly honest.


The Drums - "Down By the Water" and Atlas Sound - "Shelia"
Okay, I am aware that I already put two Atlas Sound songs, but bear with me for a second. I was reading an interview Bradford Cox did on Pitchfork, where he described "Shelia" as an asexual song, and after reading his description of it (where it's not so much a "heterosexual song" but a song that just describes not wanting to die alone, and wishing for the type of relationship that is intimate but not necessarily sexual), and it transformed "Down By the Water" for me as well. Though they do sing about being with someone forever, they sing it sincerely, and lines like "If they stop loving you/I won't stop loving you/If they stop needing you/I'll still need you" could be sung to a best friend, or anyone that matters to you. Of course, if "asexual songs" aren't your cup of tea, these are still easily two romantic songs.


Girls - "Morning Light"
Okay, these lyrics are short enough that I can just put them here and let them speak for themselves: "meet me in the morning light/we know it won't last forever/wear it out while it feels right/we know that it's now or never/meet me in the sky tonight/we could fly away together/maybe if we try it right/we could make our love forever."


And now, I feel that I should be getting ready for bed.

No comments: