12.30.2009

Dig A Pony

I think that I might actually be solar powered; as soon as the sun goes, I feel as if I'm finished doing anything at all...like right now. Is it because I'm born in August? Unfortunately I'm also turning into a total, horrible grump.


Right now I am watching Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs; it's pretty straightforward in terms of plot, but the thing that makes the movie more interesting is that it has a sort of lack of reservation in terms of jokes, which just makes it fun, even if the storyline is predictable.


It will be sincerely good to stop being on winter vacation. I just realized that I'm really going to miss winter, as soon as it is over. Somehow the severe cold, short days and clear, crispness of the air is my type of weather. I'm not sure how I feel about the foggy, moistness that is spring. One good thing to look forward to is the return of green to Washington. So I am aware that it's a little contradictory to be solar powered and prefer cold, dark weather, but what can I say, it's possible in Washington.


Lately I've been feeling more connected to the Smiths. Who wouldn't connect to "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"? I shouldn't need to remind anyone about the lyrics, but here it is:
Good times for a change
see, the luck I've had
can make a good man
turn bad

So please please please
let me, let me, let me
let me get what I want
this time

Haven't had a dream in a long time
see, the life I've had
can make a good man bad

So for once in my life
let me get what I want
Lord knows it would be the first time
Lord knows it would be the first time



What marvels me is that when I first heard the Smiths, I hated them. They were a necessary evil that I had to listen to in order to understand all the millions of bands that sprouted because of the Smiths. I deleted them from my hard drive and thought, "Good riddance"; but listening to "There is a Light" again (courtesy of 500 Days of Summer, of course) required a second listen to the Smiths. What really tipped the scales for me was Hatful of Hollow, a collection of songs that I've never loved more.


Here is just a quick list of songs as reasons why we should all love the Smiths:
Reel Around the Fountain: "I dreamt about you last night/and I fell out of bed twice"

Girl Afraid: has to have one of the most perfect lyrics I've seen in a while.
Accept Yourself: "I am sick and I am dull/and I am plain/how dearly I'd love to get carried away/oh but dreams have a knack of just not coming true".


I could keep going, but I think that I'm gushing too much already. 


This shut -in needs to publish this post before it isn't today anymore.

No comments: